Wednesday, January 11, 2012

wedding post: part four + some christmas


You sick of the wedding posts yet? Too bad, I've got one more, but if you hang in with me you'll be rewarded with a little crafty project at the end :]

When planning the wedding, I was hoping to use things that could be repurposed in some way (used as home decor, made into something else, etc.) I can't say I was entirely successful, because quite a few of the wedding decorations (like the majority of the mason jars) went to Good Will because we simply couldn't fit them all in our apartment that was (and still is) already stuffed to the ceiling with STUFF.

Here are a couple ways I've used things from the wedding in our home.


The books and birch flowers from some of the tables are now all around our house (seriously, they're everywhere). Oh, and how cute are these birds? They were a wedding gift from my amazing cooperating teacher.


See? More books. Everywhere, I tell ya. I've got quite a few of the birch flowers left over, too, and I'm still thinking of a way to use them. If you have any ideas, I'd love the input! See our cake topper? I'm still just as in love with it as I was the day I bought it. It has a special cat-proof spot on our tall bookshelf.


I wish I had a better spot for this beauty, rather than the bottom shelf of the bookshelf next to my Crazy Horse rock. Maybe on a floating shelf in the living room?


As I'm writing this, I'm realizing just how many bookshelves we have. Here's our collection of hardback books that we keep in the living room, you know, to make people think we're well-read and educated (although I'm not sure HP6 supports this image). Notice, the cake stand makes an appearance as a bookend.


Remember that cute banner from behind the head table? We've hung it in the living room. Even with the banner, though, this is still my least favorite wall in the house. I guess I just can't justify putting a bunch more holes in the wall when we'll be patching them in less than 7 months.


And the banner from the dessert table :]


These his and hers letters sat next to our his (long island iced teas) and hers (rose champagne) drinks at the wedding. Their new home is on our bathroom sink. I can't wait for the day when we have his and hers sinks... these will be even cuter.

Okay, you stuck with me through not one, not two, but FOUR wedding blogs. Now, for a little crafty project. I put together this little present for the hubs for Christmas.




Now, I know what you're thinking. "You decorated a basket with your initials and called it a Christmas present?" Well, yes. But it's more about what's IN the basket.



"You mean, mailing envelopes?" Well... yes, but it's what's IN the envelopes. I found this idea on Pinterest (duh, where else?) and I'm sure most of you have seen it, or something like it. Click here to see the original post.

So by now, those of you who aren't Pinterest obsessed like me and the rest of women ages 18 to 36, are thinking "What the HELL is it and WHY does she keep telling me what I'm thinking?"

Well, dear friend, there are 12 months of pre-planned, pre-paid dates inside these envelopes.

Now, to all the ladies out there thinking that they'd like to do this for their significant other, keep this in mind: It is VERY time consuming.

Totally worth it though.

Most of the dates came either from the original poster's website, OR the fabulous Dating Divas (SUPER website, ladies! And gentlemen, if you're looking for date night ideas!). I tweaked the dates to fit what I knew the mister would have fun doing.

First, I typed up a little introductory note for each month, to let the hubs know what we would be doing on the date (I forgot to take a picture of it, though... next time I will). Then, I filled the envelope with money, gift cards, and other things that went along with the theme. Here's what was inside the January date envelope:


These were interesting...it's amazing what you know about your partner, just from living with them, and equally amazing what you overlook (like what pocket he puts his wallet in).

There was also a packet of microwave popcorn, and $5 to rent a movie (we skipped this part, because we already had a movie from Netflix that we needed to watch).

This was probably one of the most simple dates in the whole basket, but it was so much fun! This is where I stop, for now, because the rest of the dates are a secret :] I'll update the blog as we continue to open the envelopes. Until then, it'll remain on our bookshelf.


This post really should have been titled "The Gardners Have Way too Many Bookshelves." Moving is going to be fun.

And for the men reading this post (HAH), don't worry, this isn't all that he got for Christmas. He also got socks and underwear.

Just kidding, he got photoshop CS5 :]





1 comment:

Pre-made blog design © 2011 Danielle Moss // Graphic Design & Photography.